[Healeys] BJ8 suspension thoughts

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Wed Mar 24 20:54:17 MST 2010

I always thought it was cheap of BMC to get rid of the panhard rod on the BJ8.

However, when I installed my BJ8 radius arms on my car, I noticed they're quite rigid in sideways motion. Since my car has front mounts per Mike Salter's AHX-12 design which will flex sideways but not other directions, it still requires the panhard rod.

The front and rear radius arm mounts on the BJ8 are rigid in a sideways direction, therefore I would assume the BJ8 axle has little tendency to shift sideways. Ditto the Sprite which has a similar radius arm design.

I wonder if anyone's tried moving the BJ8 axle sideways with the radius arms attached but the springs disconnected.
Enquiring minds want to know.

Hey - _who_ has too much time on their hands? Not me.

--
Steve Gerow
BN6