[Healeys] Dog Nut Removal

Richard Pratt prattri at msn.com
Wed Mar 24 14:04:59 MST 2010

Ed,
My experience is that you must use a socket, breaker bar and a length of
pipe as a cheater. There should be about 400 ft-lb on the nut. Mark the nut
and damper (punch marks) before you remove the nut so you can get it back to
the original marks to assure proper torque. Also you will have to drop the
pan and use a block of wood against the crank throw to prevent movement of
the crank as you loosen and tighten the bolt. You will have to raise the
engine to get the socket on the bolt and to remove the damper. As such I
have used a piece of 2X4 under the motor mounts and c-clamps to prevent the
engine from rolling as you torque the bolt.
Richard