[Healeys] Splined Hubs

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Mar 21 18:39:43 MST 2010

Quality matters, at any price.  I paid a well-known supplier near Baltimore
$175 each for two new front splined hubs.  One of them was apparently
machined incorrectly in the bearing races and caused a rotor wobble and
brake chirp that was only cured when I reinstalled my original splined hub
with all the same parts otherwise.  The supplier refused to acknowledge any
responsibility for making it right, declined my repeated offers to send back
the bad hub for inspection, inadvertently admitted to me in a cc e-mail to
his supplier in the UK that there was at least one other like that sitting
on his desk, and I ended up eating the cost after six months of fruitlessly
trying to get him to do more than "try to get me a replacement from his
supplier".  I later cut the thing in half to use for a structural model.

Cheap is not cheap if the quality is bad.  But expensive does not
necessarily guarantee quality, either.  I would recommend you buy from
someone who will stand behind their product if there is a problem with it.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA