[Healeys] BJ8 on eBay

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 06:53:35 MST 2010

re:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280481160202

I have a hard time believing this car only has "56,092 miles."  My BJ8,
built in late 1966 and sold and registered in 1967 is an "unrestored" CA
with over 165K miles, and overall is in much better (apparent) condition
than this car.  For instance:

- the dash on this car appears much more weathered
- the chrome trim on the dash appears more beat up
- the wheel wells appear to be rusted inside.  Mine were undercoated,
but a lot of the undercoating has flaked off and the paint is in good
shape (guess the undercoating worked well in this case)
- what the h*ll happened to the interior? Carpeting missing, floorboards
appear rusted, trim bolts and washers rusted, etc.
- looks like a non-original distributor--why would anyone change the
distributor on a low-mileage car?
- non-original voltage regulator (Rich pointed this out).  My car has
the original VR, which is working fine
- horns may have been messed with (my car's horn mounts are different)
- engine bay overall appears much more aged and neglected
- small panel with grommet that surrounds steering column is severely rusted
- funky, non-original carpet in boot
- hacked-up, non-original battery box (maybe a serious leak from the
battery rusted out boot floor?)
- looks like car was given Earl Schrieb paint job (rear bumper grommets
appear painted over)

I could go on, but, it sure appears that while the odometer might
indicate 56K, this car has either been abused or has at least 156K miles
(maybe the odometer quit working oh, say, 20 years ago?).

Caveat emptor.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net