[Healeys] fender bead insulator

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Mar 15 09:35:27 MST 2010

Hi, Ira -
There was no barrier material other than minimal paint originally used
between the fender flanges, the shroud flanges, and the beading.  This
arrangement is a galvanic cell, and in the days when the cars were just cars
and lived outside and in the rain most of the time, corrosion was promoted
that dissolved the aluminum flanges.
Most Healeys see a much more benign environment today, but can still corrode
if exposes to enough moisture.  I just used a good coat of anti-corrosion
primer (called "Corroless" then, but Eastwood has something similar called
"Rust Encapsulator") on all the flanges before I reassembled the parts.
Since then (the late '80s) I have had only one rear fender off the car about
13 years later and there was no corrosion of the flanges.
A good coating of a good paint should be all you need.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA