[Healeys] What color should the instrument panel be for BN1 HealeyBlue?

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Mon Mar 15 06:48:04 MST 2010

Usually the instrument panel on a Healey Blue Hundred is a dark midnight
blue with silver instrument pod. However, we've observed a few original
exceptions here. Some of the early 2 piece dashes had the separate
instrument pod painted Healey Blue, though most were silver. A few later
BN1's with single piece dash pressing seemed to be painted all black. An
example here is John Wheatley's very original BN1, though that's the only
one I've ever personally seen. I believe his was built about May of '54.
As for formulas for the dark blue and the silver, I'll quote from my
painter's notes:

   " The blue colour is a Mercedes blue "paint code 904". It is Sherwin
Williams basecoat U7-39121 standard formula.
    The silver we have been using is from PPG's Global paint line. It
is not a formula but the mixing toner BC769 extra fine silver.  The Sherwin
Williams equivalent should be toner # U7006. This is the same silver
(metallic) that we use in the Healey Blue formula. There shouldn't be a
compatibility problem using  Sherwin Williams clear on top of the PPG
silver. I have used it many times with success. The same goes for using
Sherwin Williams blue and PPG's silver on the same dash."

Rich Chrysler