[Healeys] breather for K&N air filter

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 01:29:44 MST 2010

I have K&N lookalikes, produced in France. I had to confront this problem
and my solution seems to work. Caveat:-one can buy these fittings, below, in
the UK and, I'm pretty sure, in the rest of Europe, BUT I don't know about
anywhere else.
Find a helpful plumbing supply shop and ask about bits.....& then:-
1) Make a hole in the backplate of the rearmost filter. Hole to allow a 22mm
pipe.
2) Take a 22mm compression joint of the type that one would use, for
example, to put a 22mm supply into a cold water tank.
3) Using the joint, above, put a, say, 2 inch length of 22mm copper pipe
into the back of the filter with as little as possible on the inside. (I
ground my pipe and joint down on the inside with a grinder).
4) The section of pipe that sticks out of the filter can be inserted into
the regular rubber pipe coming over from the T on top of the engine and then
tightened up with a Jubilee type clip.
Attached shows the visible part of the joint which, in my opinion, is
acceptable although it won't win any prizes.
(For interest's sake: The steel fuel pipe feeds between the carbs looked
very smart - I thought - but it was nbg and had to go).
Simon