[Healeys] MGC/3000 Heads the Same?

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 10:02:49 MST 2010

As part of the decision to add a quick rack to my MGC I Googled and came up
with an article by a man called Bruce Ibbotson of Australia. It tells of all
the fun he had spending a ton of money making his MGC into a real car. It is
a fun article if you have any interest.

In the article he makes the statement "*(MG and Austin heads are identical
except for the colour, greenish for the C, black for the Austin.)*" I fist
thought he was referring to the 3000, but the color of my BT7 engine was
green. Also, the last Big Healeys had larger carburetors so the intake ports
would have to be larger in their heads.

Any help in clarification? Would my spare C head really work with my BT7?

The article tells of all sorts of things to make the C better. Too bad I
didn't think of shaving the flywheel when the engine was out for clutch
work. I will check behind the water pump to see if the flashing that blocks
the water passage is there. His was one of the first, mine is one of the
last so there might not be a problem.

I have never heard of the company referred to as anything but British
Leyland here. Perhaps in calling it BLMC, he is taking poetic license so
that he can call the company Bloody Lousy Motor Corporation.

Be nice if my spare head worked for both cars.

Jack