[Healeys] healeydata.com, (was) RE: No earlier 3000 ?

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 10:51:50 MST 2010

David, healeydata.com is owned by Roger Los.  Roger created the original
site austinhealey.com back in the '90s.  It is what inspired me to become
the BJ8 registrar.

100M cars and their registry are a bit unique (similar to 100S cars).  Since
the production quantity of the 100M cars was extremely limited and the
numbers are all known, and since a valid factory 100M is considered more
valuable than a standard Hundred, then there is some incentive on the part
of unscrupulous people to forge them and on the part of the registry to be
secretive about their details.  For the other models, there is no such
incentive.

The healeydata.com site is populated with information voluntarily submitted
by owners.  I would assume if they had any concern about what would happen
to the information then they would not have submitted it in the first place.
It is a database of interesting information about the cars more than it is a
registry.  There is no danger of it being released, because it is already
available on-line at the site to whomever wants to look at it.

There are already a ton of BJ8s out there that have had their numbers
scrambled, exchanged, or re-created at some time in the past.  This was
probably done not for profit so much as to be able to register and use a car
that might not otherwise be useable.  For most of these cars, the only way
the misidentification will come to light now is if the owners submit their
information to the registry.  In the last year, I have been involved in
correcting such number scrambling on three BJ8s.

As a matter of fact, there is a BJ8 now on the UK version of eBay that is
claiming a VIN number that still exists on its original car in Illinois.
Unless the Illinois owner stumbled onto the eBay sale, there is no way
anyone would ever recognize the conflict except the model registrar.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA