[Healeys] Difference between diaphragm clutch and earlier 3 spring type?

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 21:45:34 MDT 2010

Tadek -

The diaphragm clutch is superior in almost all respects.  It is much lighter
on the pedal and makes driving a pleasure.  Technically speaking it is
superior as well - it evens out the load on the pressure plate, extending
the life of the clutch, reducing heat cracking on the flywheel, and
generally can take more load than a spring clutch.  It will also shudder
much less with time as the clutch wears.

The downsides are few, the diaphragm clutch is slightly more prone to lose
the cover's bearing mate-surface donut, on the spring clutch they really
can't come loose but on the diaphragm clutch this metal donut can come loose
from the diaphragm springs if not assembled properly at the factory.  That's
probably the only downside of the diaphragm clutch.  I'd say the chance of
this type of failure is very low.

I changed the clutch on my BJ8 about 70K miles ago, and it is only now
slipping after very heavy driving through San Francisco and Hong Kong hills.
 It probably would have lasted 100K miles anywhere else.  In a BN2 it'll
last even longer.

Alan