[Healeys] Fitting glass to BN2 windscreen frame

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jun 23 14:11:10 MDT 2010

My dad and I just did this for our BN2.

We got a long strip of glazing rubber of sufficient width (about 3") from a windshield glass supply/repair house. Buy twice what you think you'll need--it's cheap and you may screw the pooch once or twice in the process. Stretch/wrap the glazing rubber along each edge (one at a time) with the same excess on each side, then gently tap the metal frame over it, getting the corners just so. There should be excess rubber on each end and along the length of the frame. Get a new, single edge razor blade and trim the rubber with a slight outward bezel along the length and just slightly longer than the frame on the ends (you can cut the rubber 'square' here), at the appropriate (more-or-less 45deg) angle. When you fit all frames up you don't want any gaps in the rubber on the corners. Don't press any harder with the razor blade than you have to--did I mention to use a new one?--or you'll score the glass.

There is a specific sequence to refitting the screws in the inner frame and the outer, but I don't remember it exactly. Do a 'dry run' till you've got the sequence figured out.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA