[Healeys] trans oil

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jun 14 07:25:59 MDT 2010

Kees,

I don't quite understand this statement.  A different viscosity rating
means, well, the oils have a different viscosity:

"Kinematic viscosity is graded by measuring the time it takes for a
standard amount of oil to flow through a standard orifice, at standard
temperatures. The longer it takes, the higher the viscosity and thus
higher SAE code." -- Wikipedia

According to Redline, MT-90 is equivalent to 75W-90 gear oil or 15W-40
motor oil--not 20W-50 as I recalled incorrectly--and MTL is equivalent
to 70W-80 gear oil or 5W-30 motor oil.

The differences may not be noticeable in the bottle, but they are
measurable.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net