[Healeys] BT7stuck door latch

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 08:01:28 MDT 2010

Continuation of response:
As you say, keeping the old parts from a restoration is a good idea.
First I pulled out the old assembly that came from my Healey which had
all of the die cast zinc parts broken and a plunger that was worn pretty
badly.  Then I looked in my MG TD box which uses virtually the same
mechanism and found a very nice original plunger.  Usually on the
originals the die cast stuff would break necessitating replacement of
the assembly.
I've still got to get the thing back in the car, but I am happy to come
up with a solution.
I did get the door open by jacking under the frame where it meets the
outrigger.  Thanks to those who suggested that.  That does point to some
flex existing, but there wasn't enough to see.  All of the metal is new,
so there is no weakness other than designed into the car.  The plunger
apparently was not engaged in the strike by a large amount and when I
pulled hard on the door it flew open even though the handles would not
move the plunger.
Now I guess I have to look forward to the same on the passenger side.
Charlie
PS I have also copied Kelvin Dodd of Moss Motors on this.  I don't know
if Moss has these made or if they get them from someone else in the LBC
community, but it is a problem that should be fixed by changing the
material used for this part.  To look at the new assembly, it appears to
be of very high quality.  It is a shame that this one thing makes the go
bad.  Mine was in service for approximately 14 months before this
happened.  Not a very long time for a car driven less than 2,000 miles.
Hopefully Kelvin can look into this and get the specification changed of
the plunger material.