[Healeys] Silicone vs Glycol (natural or otherwise) brake fluid

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 10:50:44 MDT 2010

In a message dated 6/9/10 5:33:13 AM, tomfelts at windstream.net writes:

> 3.  You say---"Use silicone in show cars that are driven less hard and
> infrequently."  OK---for exactly what reason?  As I said, my cars are
> "drivers" and I drive them frequently and pretty hard.  Give me technical
data
> to support this statement.

What I'm stipulating here is about the maximum that the traditionalists
will accept. To actually believe that Silicone brake fluid is RECOMMENDed for
any reason is way beyond their boundaries.

I too use silicone brake fluid in my Healey, but I have to confess that I
drive it less frequently than I used to.   It typically runs up about 2,500
miles a year.
By contrast, when I had glycol in my MGB GT and left it parked outside (in
California) under a cover over the winter because it needed some little
thing that I didn't have time to deal with, when I came to drive it in the
spring, the clutch slave cylinder had frozen due to rust in the system.
I see no reason why you couldn't use silicone, but for a car that is
literally driven daily, especially in commute conditions, I'd prefer glycol,
and
certainly for racing. So in my garage, the Mercedes C55 and the MGA race car
have glycol (actually ATE Blue), but the Healey has silicone.

Cheers
Gary