[Healeys] Steering alignment

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 02:28:32 MDT 2010

Ken

I cannot find anything in A40/A70 workshop manuals but there is
something in Austin Service Journal Volume 16, December 1947. Here
Austin was going to great lengths to introduce and explain this new A40
'wishbone' front suspension. Up until then Austin dealers were only used
to beam axles and cart springs.

When it comes to adjusting side tubes it does not relate to a tight
spot. However what it does describe is how by adjusting the side tubes
lengths it is possible to make sure that maximum lock in both directions
is limited at the swivel axle and not by coming to a limit of travel
within the steering box itself.

Presumably if the steering box did not reach its own 'stops' and was
therefore central the tight spot would occur when the road wheels were
straight ahead.

Regards

--
John Harper