[Healeys] What to fill your level shocks with

Peter Caldwell peter at nosimport.com
Sat Jul 31 07:45:45 MDT 2010

We use a hydraulic oil intended for hydraulic rams and equipment such
as jacks, etc. Usually available at farm stores and industrial
suppliers. Jack oil works as well, but try to find some labeled as
suitable for snowplow rams. It'll have some anti-foaming agents. The
technical specification is AW68 or AWE68.It has a motoroil equivalent
viscosity to 20W.
    The key, as I teach (and preach) is to not OVERFILL. Only top up
if there is evidence of leaking... notably at the shaft seals. If
there's too much oil, it will pressurize when hot and seep from the
seals, attracting road grime, and eventually destroy the seals and
erode the shaft. The oil in shock does not magically disappear, it
either leaks, or not. If you feel compelled to "top-up" at every oil
change, tighten the mounting screws instead. Honest, we see many
failures due precisely to overfilling. It should not run out of the
filler hole, like you expect with differentials and gearboxes.
      Peter C

Hypoid 90, btw, is close to 50W engine oil, and is NOT suitable in a
lever shock. Things will breal.
=======