[Healeys] What to fill your level shocks with

Mark LaPierre lapierrem at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 31 07:27:33 MDT 2010

Wow, another mule that we have beaten to death over the years.

I just returned from the annual MGA annual meet in the Lake Geneva area
where Peter Caldwell gave a shock lecture on Do's and Don'ts.
His suggestion was 80W 68 jack oil which is close to 20W motor oil.
(Tractor stores)

Also, leave an air space in the top of the shock fluid chamber for
expansion. If not,  the oil will leak out
 the seals eventually.

If they ain't leakn, don't fill them.  The oil doesn't evaporate.   Its OK
to take off the covers at some
point and flush them out with clean fluid and then refill them.

The seals have been greatly improved as most of us have learned, depending
on who is doing the rebuilding.
There is still some crap out there, beware.

Coincidentally,  I just happened to sit  next to Dick Lunney (mag. editor)
who had just recently been to the Healey conclave in Ill.   He showed up in
the only Healey,  the nerve.   ;  )

Mark