[Healeys] Closed system- little confused

Eric (Rick) Wilkins e-wilkins at cox.net
Thu Jul 29 14:39:05 MDT 2010

To make the system work, you need either a longer radiator neck, or a
longer radiator cap to fit your stock radiator. All new radiator caps
that you find at the stores have two way release valves. Hot pressure
allows overflow to go to the tank. When cooling, the vacuum will suck
the coolant back into the radiator. Don't ad any gaskets. that may
defeat this operation.

Leak in the overflow hose/tank will not allow the coolant to suck back
into the engine, unless you make the return hose go to the bottom of
the overflow tank.

I've got a closed system in my 100 Six- http://ewilkins.com/wilko/engine.htm
  - the overflow tank has the return pipe on the bottom of the tank.

Wilko
San Diego