[Healeys] Healey Fuel Odors (BJ8 Exhaust System)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 13:59:41 MDT 2010

You're quite welcome.

If your resonators and/or mufflers die but the pipes are still OK any muffler shop worth their MIGs should be able to stitch some new mufflers in (they'd probably want to sell you whatever they have, but some might let you bring in 'outside' parts). Or, if you have a sawzall and a welder you can cut your old out, then tack new ones in, then remove the whole system to finish welding the seams. You'll probably want to reuse the brackets on the resonator, and you could reuse the Ansa resonator tips, but I replaced the last section because the pipes were smaller than the muffler output diameter (and smaller than the rest of the Ansa system--not sure why this is, seems like an unnecessary restriction). I also put a crossflow connector between the two pipes ahead of the front mufflers just for the heck of it.

I'm trying to learn to weld and this has given me LOTS of opportunities to practice. Also, as my Ansa resonator started to develop holes due to rust and/or impact, I was able to patch it up for several years using some 'steel epoxy' paste--the stuff that comes in one tube that you cut and knead to mix.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Thanks for the tip Bob because when my ANSA's go, I'll need a back-up plan for replacement. Mine are going on 10 years now. I was lucky enough to find original ANSA resonators to replace mine that had badly deteriorated. I'm hoping for a few more years with them. The mufflers are still solid.

tom