[Healeys] Zinc or Stainless Steel

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Jul 29 01:15:46 MDT 2010

You can use stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers on steel to steel
constructions, but NOT on steel to aluminium because of severe
electrolytic reactions. In that case use zinc or cadmium plated washers,
bolts, nuts and screws.
If you can get hold of them you can use titanium aircraft bolts and nuts.

In the late sixties I was apprentice at Fokker Aerospace and also had
access to the workshops where they build and overhauled their aircraft.
All used bolts, nuts and plates were scrapped and replaced with new ones
as standard procedure. Some were of titanium, very tough stuff, better
than grade 8.
The used material was perfectly alright and I collected quite a lot of
it. I still use bolts and nuts from that hoard. Practically all is UNF
thread.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Josef.Eckert at t-systems.com wrote:
> John,
> Even restoring my cars to Concours Standard (European style), I use stainless
> steel bolts wherever its possible, except engine internals, some BSF and other
> threads I can`t get in stainless steel, and suspension. All others are
> stainless steel on my cars and I love it. They do not discolour, can be easily
> polished, length cut to the needed etc. Lots of advantages in my mind.
>
> Josef Eckert
> Konigswinter/Germany
> 54BN1, 62BT7, 65Sprite and others

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of coudesluijs.vcf]