[Healeys] Overheating Healey

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 18:32:02 MDT 2010

I cannot tell you exactly how much cooler an engine will run with an oil
cooler, but it will help.  Also, your engine will run cooler if you use
synthetic oil.
A word of warning about oil coolers. When you start up a cold engine the oil
is quite thick and it does not like to be forced through that restrictive oil
cooler. Engines like warm oil and race engines like hot oil to make power.
If you plan on using an oil cooler you should think about plumbing in a bypass
thermostat so that when the oil is cold it bypasses the cooler. Only when the
oil gets hot enough does the thermostat open and allow the oil to go through
the cooler. You can buy these through any of the racers stores.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon