[Healeys] too hot

healeymanjim at hansencc.net healeymanjim at hansencc.net
Sat Jul 24 09:05:13 MDT 2010

living in las vegas, the term "too hot" tends to be relative.  the other day when it was 113 degrees and i had to go somewhere in he healey (which is something i try to avoid), my temp would go up to about 220 at a stop light.  it would run about 212 at speed.   i still have the original radiator and 4 blade fan  on the bn6.  the problem was not with the cooling system, which never boiled over, but with the vapor locking of the fuel system.  i am in the process of insulating the fuel pump, carbs and lines wherever possible with reflective insulation and hope to solve the boil out problem.  i read the other day in my classic car magazine where today's fuel has less vapor pressure than previously and older cars have a problem with this.  wish me luck and i will keep you posted.   hjim