[Healeys] Thurs. Post Conclave Adventure

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 19:39:22 MDT 2010

This AM turned out nice and cool for top down driving. We traveled on Hwy 50 E
from Bedford, In. along the hills of the SE part of the state toward
Dillsboro. I said this before but it needs repeating; This part of In. is
quite nice with the rolling hills, manicured farms, and small quaint towns.
Everything is neat and clean--just feels fresh traveling thru here. On the
advice from Conclave goer Roy Bowman we drove In. 262 from Dillsboro to Rising
Sun. This is a twisty road thru the country following a small river. It could
be challenging for a Healey at high speeds but we didn't push too hard since
we're still pretty far from home and by ourselves. We thought that road was
great, then we hit 156 out of Rising Sun that cruises along the Ohio for many
miles. Now this was a treat also. We could just picture what it was like
during the river boat times of past centuries; farmers bringing there produce
down to the river in season, artists and craftsmen setting up stands for the
passengers on the boats to see and pull over for their purchases.  Those river
boats had ramps that could drop, virtually stopping to debark anywhere
desired. Each turn offered different scenery-there were marinas, corn fields,
homes, a coal fired power plant, many barges hauling in the coal with the
apparatus that unloaded & conveyed the coal up to the plant, camping grounds
for RVs, just all sorts of uses but things didn't appear crowded either. We
crossed the Ohio into Ky someplace around Carrolton,Ky and onto Hwy 227 S.
This was a treat that just keeps on coming. The hills of the Ohio Valley are
just gorgeous, now we're in horse country again.  These farms are huge with
perfectly manicured lawns separate from the perfectly manicured paddocks.
I'll start a new page here to get it in under the 3 Kb limit. Stay tuned.