[Healeys] off by 3/16"

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 22 17:45:52 MDT 2010

Don:  I think you may NOT be seeing a bracket that may be missing.  If you
have a Moss catalog, refer to the Engine Controls BJ7, BJ8.

Part 121, bracket, with part 79, relay shaft bearing inserted, is mounted on
the firewall.  Part 73, spindle (relay shaft, throttle shaft?), slides into
79 which you say you have done.  On top of the manifold, bracket 105 fastens
with two bolts with a raised portion to the rear.  The nylon bracket is
sandwiched between 105 and 81 (choke cable holder) and secured by bolt to
the threaded hole in the raised portion of 105 after sliding the bearing
over the throttle shaft.  These are all independent pieces without any solid
connection to the throttle shaft or relationship to the position of the
engine.

Moss shows two circlips, 74, which would appear to keep the shaft from
moving forward and backward.  In the case of my '67 BJ8, there is one
circlip in the end of the shaft to prevent rearward movement.  There is a
spacer, about an inch long, next to the nylon bracket and then the lever,
75, clamped to the throttle rod which prevents forward movement.  There is
about 3/16 inch play, fore and aft, in my throttle shaft and this could be
changed by moving the lever or changing the spacer.  I do not see how moving
the motor would make any difference unless I am not seeing your problem
correctly.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031