[Healeys] Monday- Post Conclave

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 23:58:50 MDT 2010

Well,
Sun. night we stopped in fort Dodge, Ia. after traveling to Sioux Falls, SD.,
then down to Sioux City, Ia.  Heading back East on Hwy 20 nothing much had
changed since our drive over.  While filling up with gas I noticed that I had
a broken spoke on one wheel but since I was so tired I decided to change out
with the spare in the AM.  When Mon. came it had rained overnight and was wet
in the AM so we packed up and moved on.  I didn't change the wheel cause I
didn't feel like starting off all wet today.  Heading E on Hwy 20 toward
Waterloo we passed 2 wind farms with wind generators as far as you could see
deep and at least a mile on the highway frontage.  There sure is plenty of
wind in these parts to harness.  Also Iowa gas stations have a motto that says
something like " ethanol, get it from the Midwest and not the Mideast".  There
is also plenty of corn out here.  At Waterloo we headed S on Hwy 63 toward Mo.
We were driving along down the highway admiring the corn, beans, and hay and
noticing the artwork on the barn loft doors.  The farmers have painted quilt
patterns on their loft doors on barns all over southern Ia.  They are quite
colorful and tastefully done as well.  We passed thru a couple of Mennonite
(or Hutterite) communities heading south and saw several buggies pulled by
beautiful horses trotting along beside the highway.  The people waved and
smiled at us as we passed by.  Even they recognize the beauty of a fine
machine when they see one.  We were driving out in the boon docks when the gas
gage was reading low.  We pulled over in the town called-you guessed it--Boon
Docks at the Phillips 66 station to fill up.  We got gas and a T shirt to
prove it.  As we pulled off Sherry said that the owner must have a sense of
humor since he put 67 1/2 in the logo where usually there is 66 of the
Phillips sign.  Then I became worried about what I had just put in the tank.
I guess I saw what I wanted to see when the gage was bouncing off E but
everything is running smoothly.  It had been raining off and on all day and
under an abandoned station with awnings I pulled over to change out the wheel.
When I checked the spokes again I found 3 broken spokes now, all on the same
wheel luckily.  These roads with the frost heaves are rough on wire wheels.
After changing the wheels and repacking the trunk we headed off.  As we headed
south on 63 the rolling hills came back the closer to Mo. we got.  The sky was
angry and rain came off and on.  We stopped in Kirkville, Mo. for the night.
See Part 2.

George & Sherry Haywood