[Healeys] Post Conclave Adventures to South Dakota

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 21:17:02 MDT 2010

Hi all,

Sherry & I left Conclave on Fri morning 'bout 10AM and made a bee line across
Iowa on hwy 20 to Sioux City then turned Northwest a little to head to
Yankton, SD.  On the way over we passed thru Lawton, Ia., the home of The
Healey Werks.  We waved as we passed by but they were closed for the day.  Bet
they spent the day catching up on the weeks werk since the boss was on his way
back.  Boy did the terrain change the farther west we traveled.  Those
beautiful rolling hills around Galena began to flatten as we went.  Corn
fields, soy beans, and hay was about the only thing happening in those parts.
The occasional dead deer on the road, a few chip monk like rodents scurrying
about, and the "smell of money" as one of my Nebraska friends said of her
family's hog operation. The cattle feed lots were something else that gave us
an olfactory experience from time to time depending on which side of the
highway they were located.  There were two different areas that had Wind Farms
with wind generators as far as you could see in the distance and at least a
mile wide of highway frontage.  The gas stations usually offered 91 octane and
boasted ethanol in their product ?% so I was reluctant to fill up (but had no
choice).  Their motto was get it in the Middle West not the Middle East or
something to that effect.  So far no problems that I can tell so the % must be
about 10% or so.  As we turned North on I-29 I felt that the car in the left
lane was hanging beside me too long since I was going about 5 MPH slower than
posted speed.  I looked over and there were my friends that I met @ Conclave,
John Marshall and his wife Ethel, waving as they were heading home to Sioux
Falls after their Conclave week. We headed for Yankton and pulled in about 7PM
to check into our room.  The next day (Sat.) I had a reunion @ my college Alma
Mater, Mount Marty College.  It wasn't a reunion specific to my class but one
that the college puts on each year to get Alumni back for a visit.  This was
my first time back in 28 yrs.  There was a Banquet in the evening and Sherry
and I had the privilege to be seated at the honors table because the chief of
my program was presenting an award to a faculty member.  She wanted us to sit
with her to catch up on my last 28 yrs.  It was a very nice reunion and we
visited for a couple of hours after the banquet catching up on old times.  The
next day we traveled to Sioux Falls where I completed part of my training, saw
the Falls of the Big Sioux River, headed over to Mn. to say we've been there
then headed south to start our journey home to NC.  A nice beginning.

George & Sherry Haywood