[Healeys] Fw: Brave New World

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Tue Jul 20 20:49:50 MDT 2010

I don't know much about facebook, fact of the matter is I think I am pretty
 "hep" and "with it" because I know how to use e-mail and a computer pretty
well, I don't use facebook, twitter or talk or text on my cell phone all day
 long, as a matter of fact I like my computer and the internet, but kind of
look on the
cell phone as a necessary evil.

 I would guess many of you are the same.

 Could Facebook be a good tool to communicate with the younger set about our
 cars--sure

 Will the typical guy (or gal) in the Healey club or on this list embrace
it?
 No (I know there are exceptions, but most, no)

 Will Facebook in and of itself capture a whole new generations interest in
 Healeys or collector cars? no takes a lot more than that, including a lot
of
 exposure to the cars in person and in popular media (we actually get a bit
 of that in advertisements and music videos etc. from time to time, but not
 enough) and with friends and family.

 I know my interest in Healeys and LBC's in general came from it being
 something I looked upon as cool to own someday back when I was too young to
 have a car, or too poor to afford much of one.

The current generation mostly wants the latest smartphone, many are totally
 car apathetic, certainly not all, there will be some interest in the next
 generation, but it will be a much smaller group than ours because they just
 didn't get to ride in them, have older brothers that had them, see them on
 the streets and think they were cool when they were young, etc. etc. near
as
 much as us.  That is a fact, in my opinion the automobile is also not seen
as much
as something to aspire to, something cool, something that defines self near
as much in the
younger set.

There will always be a market and interest but it usually peaks
 when the age group for which these cars were just out of reach or something
 they enjoyed when they were simply a new/used car fades into the sunset.  I
 think we are at or even slightly past the peak of the 50s/60s British car
 hobby interest right now, we can lament all we want, but time marches on.

 Greg Lemon