[Healeys] Day 2 to Conclave Part-2

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 10 21:36:19 MDT 2010

A little after noon I noticed I had missed a turn and pulled into a small town
to back track a bit.  We came upon a Dairy Queen and decided to have lunch
there.  While we sat there eating, an elderly lady (about my age) came out of
the rest room with the most perfect toilet paper tail hanging about down to
the back of her knees.  I mean it was perfectly centered.  It was all I could
do to keep from laughing but at the same time I felt sorry for her future
embarrassment.  Her husband was waiting in line next to her but didn't notice
either.  Finally a nice older lady politely told her and the matter was taken
care of without incident.  As our journey continued it began to sprinkle rain
on us in the afternoon.  We occasionally hit the wipers and continued on top
down remembering what had happened the day before.  I guess you could call us
slow learners but we went on anyway and this time it paid off for a while.
Never did it clear up but the trip was quite enjoyable and dry in the cockpit
until just outside of Winchester, Ky when the drops became larger and more
frequent.  I saw a Marathon station on the opposite roadway and did a U turn
to pull under their awning to put our top up.  We just got things completed
when it really came down on us for a while.  By the time we pulled into the
motel all precip had ended and we unloaded for the night.  We found a local
eatery called The Stage Coach Steak House and had a very nice meal--country
cookin at it's best.  We struck up a conversation with our waitress (server)
and before it was all over she gave us a 10% discount for being new in town
and prepared us some club sandwiches for the following days journey.  My wife
has a silver tongue!!  After we ate we pulled across the street to wash off
some road grime (Healey blue is ugly with grey road grime) at the local car
wash then headed back to the motel.  There we ran into the man (Joe Gibbs) who
hauls cars for the Fed-Ex NASCAR Team car number 11.  He was interested in the
Healey and we found out he was from Huntersville, NC also.  He has a busy
schedule hauling cars all over for the various races and public events up and
down the NASCAR highways (Gasoline Alley I think they are called)  NICE RIG he
has!!  We turned in for the night after a Great Healey Day looking forward to
another.

George & Sherry Haywood

'65 bj8