[Healeys] Trans failure, or little gremlin ??? BJ8

Adam Nolde adamnolde at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 10 05:31:12 MDT 2010

I was on my way to Monroe, CT last eve, for the Friday night car show and some
ice cream.
I had just turned onto a steep hill (not far from my home) and was going through
second gear in my BJ8.

SNAP !!!!

The loud snap under my arse was followed by a rapid grinding sound, which I
immediately recognized (so I thought) as a drive shaft being pushed (not pulled)
along the arsephalt.  I'm sure it took me 0.76 of a second to bring the car to
rest where I noticed the noise was gone and the engine was running smoothly.

Upon inspection there was nothing hanging loose so I started it up (no noise)
put it in gear (no noise) let out the clutch (no noise) and the car began
forward.  So I decided to limp home, rather than dragging my arse.

When I turned the next corner the noise came on again loud and clear, but this
time without the SNAP.  Again I stopped, the noise subsided, and I started up
again.  I made it the few blocks back to my house using only first and second
and being careful not to anger the little gremlin who might come through the
floor and bite my arse.

I think it might be a loose part in the gear box, or a broken clutch finger, but
I'm really no expert.  Do any of you have an idea?

The irony here is that I was on my way to Monroe, which is where John Esposito's
shop is.

Please reply to adamnolde at yahoo.com

adam nolde
HBJ8L30805