[Healeys] H-BT7-L/6722 CLARIFICATION

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat Jan 30 19:09:13 MST 2010

Ira, does your BT7 chassis have a body number plate?  If it does, that is
the number I would have used for BMIHT to determine the chassis number, not
the 29D engine which you know isn't original to your chassis.  I do not know
if BT7s were identified with the VIN/chassis number on the shock tower like
BJ8s, but unless someone who knows for sure says there were no numbers there
on a BT7 I would look for one.  If I found one, that would be the chassis
number I would use.  I would bet that the body plate would match any such
number on the frame.

If your car has always been registered as a BN4, how are you going to
convince the DMV to change the number on your title?  They might change the
number if there was an obvious typo in the paperwork, but your BT7 VIN is
going to be completely different from the BN4 number.

Anyone can do to their car whatever they can get away with, but as an
Austin-Healey model registrar I personally object to selling identification
plates for use on another car.  Rather, the plates should be provided to the
appropriate registrar to hold in case the original chassis turns up.  It has
happened for BJ8s in two cases I have personally been involved in, plus one
orphan engine plate was returned to the engine it belonged to.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC