[Healeys] insurance

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Sat Jan 30 13:07:04 MST 2010

I've had Hagerty insurance on all my classic cars, while using State Farm
for my regular cars. I've had three claims with Hagerty over the years, a
rear bumper when the car rolled back into a tree (my fault for having the car
in neutral when i started it from outside the car while workin on it...duh),
a bonnet repair when I left the bonnet open overnight at a race track and a
windstorm blew it back, bending the hinges and bonnet, and the biggie, a
total loss on my race car when my mechanic took it out on a public road to test
the new clutch and rolled the car (he said he was "only doing 45 mph and
swerved to miss a deer that ran out into the road." The cop who wrote the
accident report said "He rolled three times; i think he was going a bit over 45,
but that damned deer has caused several single car accidents up here in the
past few years.")
Bottom line: Hagerty paid out against the repair bill -- no estimates
required -- on both repairs, and wrote me a check for the agreed value of my race
car within three weeks of filing the claim -- fortunately I had street
coverage on the race car, to cover parades and things like moving the car around
in the neighborhood to load it on the trailer.
And my rates have never been changed. My new race car, which I built using
the insurance check,   and the Healey still carry the same insurance,
adjusted for increases in market value.

Cheers
gary