[Healeys] USAA Insurance

Frank Magnusson fmags at cox.net
Sat Jan 30 08:39:55 MST 2010

Hi Bob,  yes I have experience with USAA Re:  collector car insurance.  I have
my everyday cars insured with USAA.  USAA HAD a relationship with a collector
car insurance company called American Collectors Insurance up until last year.
They subcontracted to American Collectors as they did not do collector car
insurance themselves.  American Collectors have agreed value policies with a
reasonable mileage limit and coverage for the occasional drive to work, drive
to the local supermarket, etc.

Last year USAA switched to another subcontractor for their clients with
collector cars, Americam Modern.  I compared the new coverage with Americam
Modern and the old coverage with Americam Collectors and they are not the
same; not by a long shot.  Americam Modern did not cover the occaisional drive
to work; you had to get a separate endorsement for that for an extra $50 per
car and they do not cover a drive to the local store.  In other words, with
USAAs current subcontractor, American Modern, if you drive your collector car
to the local store, leave it in the parking lot and come back out of the store
and it was stolen you are out of luck; no coverage,

To make a long story short, I elected to NOT go with USAAs current
subcontractor, but get a policy directly with their old one, Americam
Collectors.  They are cheaper than Haggerty or the other popular ones that you
hear about all the time.  Their number is 1-800-360-2277.  I have ny BJ8
insured with them and have been very happy with their coverage and service.  I
also drop my coverage back to comp only every winter to save some money when I
have them off the road for the winter and they are able to do that.  That
varies from state to state apparently.

Hope this helps,

Frank Magnusson
'65 BJ8

<Any one have experience with USAA insurance on their Healey?
Do they have agreed value coverage and what about their response to claims?

I'm about to look for insuance for a fresh BJ8 restoration, we currently have
USAA for the regular driver, might that make a difference?