[Healeys] Shock Absorbers

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 18:31:13 MST 2010

In a message dated 1/29/10 11:03:18 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> I am reposting this question, as I've only gotten one response, which
> was helpful, but I'd like to know more.
>          Please
> Peter
> ===
> At 10:32 AM 1/28/2010, Peter Caldwell wrote:
> >Listerati,
> >         Can someone please direct me to information that's "out
> > there someplace" as regards differences in markings on 100 vs 100M,
> > and maybe 3000 front Armstrong shock absorbers?

Shock absorbers were painted purely for the purpose of protecting the metal
shock arms from rusting (wouldn't surprise me that they left them laying
around in the parts yard before installing on the cars.)
In any case, the concours committee has found them painted two ways. Fully
painted as if they were assembled, arms put on and all, and then spray
painted completely, or with just the arms painted, and the fasteners and
aluminum
bodies left unpainted. You can do it either way, but if you do paint just
the arms, then you've got to do it with the arms off the bodies so that the
fasteners aren't painted either. My recollection is that the 100s were found
more often with the entire assembly painted -- the typical semi-gloss black
available from Eastwood as "chassis black" and the semi-painted ones were
more typical of the later cars, but i like the unfinished aluminum bodies, so
would probably opt for that, though it's more trouble.
Gary Anderson