[Healeys] Shock question

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 10:47:46 MST 2010

Peter

The only information that I can find on this is in Austin Service
Journal Volume 26 suspension section page 6. It refers to Hire Car and
Taxi. This is dated around summer 1957 and I quote

The co-axial valve type shock adsorber which has been adopted for other
cars and light commercials has now been introduced on the taxi and hire
car.

The new shock adsorber can be identified by the letters RXP stamped on
the shock adsorber body.

Unquote

 From this limited information I would deduce that RXP means Co-axial
valves. As these had been introduced as an improvement across almost the
whole Austin range I would suggest that a RX type might be inferior.

Having said this perhaps a more important point is that most parts
suppliers sell only one type of shock adsorber to fit all 'Big Healeys'.
I am rather disappointed by this because it means that 100 owners who
want their car to ride as they did originally cannot unless they can
find a supplier who will fit weaker springs inside the Shock.

There is no problem with fitting 3000 shocks to 100s if you want a
firmer and perhaps more sporty ride but it is a shame that this is the
only option available.

Fortunately I have two pairs of original valve springs and although I
don't have the means to set them up accurately I am at least in the
correct general range for a 100.

To the best of my knowledge there was no difference between 100 and 100M
shocks but there were changes during the total BN1 - BN2 production
period.

Regards

--
John Harper