[Healeys] overdrive switches - BN1

Carr&Edwards scvc70 at epix.net
Mon Jan 25 20:01:29 MST 2010

I've searched the list archives, and couldn't find anything addressing my
current situation.

I've begun sorting out the boxful of electrical bits removed from my BN1, and
apparently one/more DPOs dealt with electrical problems by--among other
things--replacing the original O/D dash switch with a generic U.S.-made
single-pole type, as well as installing what appears to be a BJ8 throttle
switch (it looks exactly like the picture of that item in the Moss catalog).

Questions:
1)  why is the BN1 dash switch (in the Moss cat.) 10 times as expensive as the
later one?  And, since I have no intention of spending that much money for any
switch, would an ordinary single-pole switch work here?
2)  can the BJ8 throttle switch be used on the 3-speed gearboxbox's O/D?  If
so, how is that done?  When we dismantled the car, it was hooked to the
throttle linkage--but I have no idea whether the set-up ever worked, as I
never spoke to its last owner and don't know where he lives (he'd left the car
in his father's garage in 1976 when he moved away; father died in 1996, and
the executors told me son said to get rid of the car as he was no longer
interested in it--thus I am now the keeper of "Cinderella," the garage-sale
Healey....)

Apparently the gearbox itself wasn't disturbed, as it and the engine were
uniformly coated with a half-inch of black, greasy dirt.  (I haven't yet
looked the gearbox itself over.)

As always, thanks in advance!

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA