[Healeys] Temperature thermocouple

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:07:14 MST 2010

When you say that you used heat, was it a propane torch or an oxy/acetalene
torch. You need to get the cast iron around the fitting/bolt red hot. When you
say you don't want to damage the threads in the block - don't you mean the
"head"?

In my experience, if you get the area around the bolt cherry red and then put
a box end wrench on the bolt, it will break loose. Sometimes it helps to
squirt some WD 40 or BP Blaster onto the thing, when it's HOT, to help with
the process. Sometimes you need to do it a couple of times. Sneak up on it so
you don't destroy the thing you are trying to unscrew. I have a feeling that
you should not have drilled it out with that 7/16" drill bit. You have now
weakened the very bolt that you need to unscrew.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:24:33 +0000
> From: bspidell at comcast.net
> To: brodeur at frontiernet.net
> CC: healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Temperature thermocouple
>
> I would get a file with a triangular cross-section and carefully file a few
grooves inside the hole perpendicular to the threads (trying not to file the
threads). Then, I'd try to chisel the sections out.

> You could also try tapping out the hole--don't know if that plug is pipe or
straight thread--but I'd try filing and chiseling first.