[Healeys] BJ8 top fit

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Mon Jan 11 11:51:21 MST 2010

Ken,

How long ago did you receive this top from Heritage? I know they have been
reworking their pattern to address some of the concerns people were having
regarding actually too much material, not too little, especially around the
back. Here are pictures of one of their tops we installed last spring and
there was plenty of material allowed side to side.

We have installed 3 Heritage BJ8 tops in the last 3 years and have never had
too little material along the sides.

A major factor that will cause too little material along the sides is if the
top (assume made of Everflex vinyl) is not thoroughly warmed and stretched
while fitting. We always get the top located approximately, making sure the
centre line is right on, and erect the top holding it in place with tape.
Wind up the windows and set a small space heater inside until the interior
temp. is about 130 degrees F.

You will find that the top will become very soft and supple and  will easily
stretch another 1 1/2" to each side if needed. Pull everything down firmly
around the rear perimeter and forward over the header bar and toward the
front cormers. Once the header bar tacking is in place and the rear clips
are installed around the rear hoop, this will keep the required amount
fitted along the sides, covering the off-white side cantrail pieces.

One final thought, the off-white side pieces were usually showing a bit on
the original cars anyway.

Hope this helps,

Rich Chrysler