[Healeys] cheap gas

Al Malin amalin at mac.com
Wed Jan 6 12:32:30 MST 2010

A couple of years ago, a fuel tanker truck driver told me this:

He picked up fuel from a depot known around here as "tank town" and
delivered it to gas stations.  Each company had their own tanks and
they filled them with their own fuel using a common pipe line. All
companies stored the pipeline transit mix in a separate tank.  One
major brand trucked their transit mix back home to be refined again.
The cheaper brands used their transit mix by slowly blending it back
into their main tanks.  Which ever way it was done all brands met
government standards, at least in effect at that time.  I don't know
if this is the current practice.

In addition, some companies got their fuel from the same tanks as
other companies in which case the only brand differentiation was the
price on the pump and a cute gal working behind the counter.

Al Malin
Tricarb