[Healeys] Gas and ethanol

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Jan 6 09:47:51 MST 2010

Personably I have had few problems by leaving in the petrol for long
periods (up to several years). The problems I had were caused by old
rubber tubes desintigrating which clogged up the filters, but that is a
well known cause after the introduction of unleaded petrol.. Some of the
old rubber parts do not take modern fuels. Others in our old car
community experienced similar issues over the years, but most, if not
all, solved the problem by fitting new (not NOS) rubber parts/hoses/tubes.
Filling up to the brim reduces the risk of condensation being formed
inside the tank as little air gets in, so does emptying the tank as the
metal will quickly adapt to the ambient temperature thus preventing
condensation if vented and if some condensation takes place it will
quickly evaporate when the relative humidity of the ambient air
decreases. If it is partially filled it takes longer to adapt and
condensation may form and been absorbed by the fuel up to a point.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL