[Healeys] Gas and ethanol

Al Malin amalin at mac.com
Sun Jan 3 10:30:01 MST 2010

Kees,

Rich is correct because condensation occurs when warm air strikes a
very cold surface.  During the winter after your garage, and contents,
reach a below-freezing temperature everything will be fine until you
open the garage during a weather warm-up and a blast of the warmer air
enters the garage. As the warm air hits the cold surfaces the relative
humidity near the surface changes dramatically.  As the warm air is
chilled by a cold surface, its relative humidity rises - if it rises
enough the water vapor condenses and the metal is bathed in a thin
film of water.  Keeping the gas tank full mitigates this condensation
inside the tank.

Anyone wearing glasses in cold weather has experienced this
principle.  Their glasses will fog up when going from freezing
temperatures outside to a nice warm house inside. I've had tools
sitting open in the garage rust during the winter, and, they couldn't
be ventilated any more.

Al Malin