[Healeys] Bike mufflers Was: Re: Muffler for Healey 100

rrengineer @dslextreme.com rrengineer at dslextreme.com
Sat Jan 2 12:20:20 MST 2010

First of all Greg, my brakes are excellent.  An emergency stop of 1000 lbs
with two contact patches will produce a slide.  I can lock up my wheels very
easily, but I do not have ABS like the people cutting me off.  I do not have
straight pipes, I have expansion chamber type mufflers and normal driving
does not produce a disagreeable sound.  Only when I twist the throttle all
the way do the decibels rise enough to "set off car alarms".  Most of my
driving is below 3500 rpm.  You may think loud pipes as safety equipment are
a joke, but I have seen them work.  Maybe not every time, but just once is
enough to justify them to me.  Finally, I don't live in a retirement
community and I am not the only one here making noise from exhaust.  Some of
the boy racers and old school hot rodders are just as loud as me.  Funny
that a rat rod 32 Ford with glass pack mufflers is considered a desirable
classic even though it is very loud, but I am a bad guy for having a typical
Harley Davidson motorcycle?  I guess I am going to have to strap a trophy to
the front of my bike and say things like "Whattya got?" when someone asks me
"what are you rebelling against Johnny?".
Mike MacLean
56 BN2 (stock mild steel exhaust)
60 AN5 (high flow Maniflo exhaust)
02 Heritage Springer (Samson Fishtail expansion chamber slip on mufflers)