[Healeys] HD8 carb conversion questions

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Wed Feb 17 09:27:59 MST 2010

These look like really good carbs for the price. Adapting them to a custom setup will be a project. They look like series 1 E-type carbs.

You can cannibalize your HD6 float bowls and their caps to work with these carbs. The push-pull choke rod may need to be replaced or lengthened. The steel fuel line between the carbs may not fit so you may need to get the 90 degree banjo the BJ8 uses. Or the setup shown may work if you cut the fuel pipe and join with fuel hose.
The throttle shafts are the same diameter as the HD6s so you may elect to use your existing linkage.

The biggest issue I can see is the choke linkage. I was comparing my HD6s with my spare HD8 and the jet carrier casting appears to be the same, but the shaft for the 8 choke lever is a different length so you can't just move the whole bottom from the 6 to the 8.

The choke levers are on the right side as opposed to the left on the BJ8 - so however you do it, the choke setup's going to be custom. For a while I had the choke on only one carb and my car started fine, choking the rear carb only.

If you don't want to do all this, maybe Joe Curto would swap out the bottoms.

Hope this helps.

I Erbs wrote:

*http://tinyurl.com/yk8xepy*
what else is needed to make these work? I want to upgrade my HD6s on my BT7.
I can get the correct manifold
thanks

--
Steve Gerow