[Healeys] Reno Red

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 10:08:27 MST 2010

Hi listers,
After a hiatus of 5-6 months (work!) I am prepping the 56 BN2 for paint and I
have a paint related question.  Car will be painted in it's original color
Reno Red with Black coves.
The older ICI code for Reno Red was "3000"  I checked in with a PPG supplier
and the only thing he found was a '56 color for "Rover" marked Reno Red only
available in PPG's Global Line, which is not available locally. (I am checking
if this is a California thing)
My (slight) preference is a single-stage paint as I find the base/clear
oftentimes too 'hard' visually (and out of period).  Single stage urethane is
somewhat in between the old enamel/lacquer and base/clear in terms of
appearance and has the modern chemistry (longer lasting paint). Drawback is a
hard line between the 2 colors of the 2-tone scheme, as per original I guess.
My car was over-painted in a previous life, now media-blasted and where I
found the original paint (ie under the axle buffer, inside door) the red paint
is oxidized and dull. I have the Pikovnic book, but the chips for Reno red are
somewhat cloudy.  Sigh, it took me quite a bit of time to get my hands on one
via ebay.  So giving the paint supplier a sample to match is not going to work
for me.   At least I can confirm the color on the car is indeed Reno Red as
per certificate.
AutoColorLibrary.com has the chip in it's library but it seems not available
in PPG Acrylic Urethane (concept DCC)   They have this color in their own
paint-line called "restoration shop"  but I cannot find many reviews online on
this cheap, unknown paint.  I prefer PPG as the painter I am talking with is
familiar with PPG.   The painter came recommended by local clubmembers.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1956-ahmg-pg12.j
pg
Are there formulations available for Reno Red and the original black?  Or does
anybody have a small painted panel/sample available, a couple ounces of Reno
Red I can buy?  Other solutions?
All advice
 welcome.
Bert56 BN2