[Healeys] Bad Brakes - Now Good Brakes

Ray Juncal healeyray at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 5 12:44:09 MST 2010

Tony
   I think you and I are saying the same thing.  Maybe I am confused about the
mechanical advantage involved.  If pedal movement is constant the larger slave
cylinder will move less distance.  Does that equal less force working on the
brake shoes?  The smaller slave cylinder will move a greater distance and it
seems to me push harder on the brake shoes.  I am having a hard time getting
my mind around this and I really want to have a basic understanding of the
concepts involved here.
  Here's what started this whole deal.  I have two 100s, one pretty far along
in resto one in waiting.  When ever I can I rebuild parts for both cars at the
same time.  One car is stock late BN-1 ( four, one inch front cylinders on
early narrow drums, two one inch rears with wider hypoid axel drums ) no
problem here. The other car came to me with BJ-8 front disc brakes and will
have BN-7 / BJ-8 rear cylinders.  They are 7/8"slide in the backing plate
single piston cylinders. Can I use the 100 master cylinder with the later
brakes? The later cars have a brake booster. Do I need to add a brake
booster?  Could I use a larger or dual master cylinder?  What other options
come to mind?
Thanks for your help
Ray