[Healeys] When is a Tiger not a Tiger

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 01:47:20 MST 2010

UK DATA PROTECTION ACT

Readers might be interested in knowing more about this. The
Austin-Healey Club UK is a Limited Company and is subject to UK law. We
have a law called the Data Protection Act where member information and
therefore car owner information cannot be disclosed without the
permission of the person in question.

Some UK Clubs appear to get around this by having this permission
granted when they sign up as members. Unfortunately when the membership
rules were drawn up by the AHC well over 30 years nothing like this was
envisaged.

However the issue is not as serious as some people imagine because if we
Register Secretaries receive a query that needs the owner information we
either contact the owner on behalf of the person requesting the
information or forward a 'to whom it may concern' letter .

In this manner I don't believe that anybody needing to legitimately
contact an owner has failed so long as the owner is prepared to reply to
a request.

This procedure does take place from time to time and works so as I say
the UK law problem is nowhere as serious as some people fear.

Regards

John Harper
100 Register Secretary
AHC UK