[Healeys] 2.6 engine rebuild

Randy Hicks Healey100M at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 10:52:25 MST 2010

Time to let it go. This is one of those subject where there will never be
consensus.

Drive them and enjoy them. I'm doing that today even though its only 37
degrees in Phoenix!!!!!!!  :-(

Happy New Year to all.

Randy

Randy Hicks
www.austinhealey100m.com
'56 100 M
'55 BN1 Dealer Le Mans  (for sale)
'62 BN7 MkII
'65 BJ8
'53 MGTD
Healey100M at gmail.com

On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:

> Instead of making my usual knee-jerk response, I thought and slept on this
and finally pinpointed what really bugs me about Martin's posts (besides the
fact he seems to twist every thread he participates in into a not-too-subtle
plug for his products).

> It's his strong implication--yes, I've re-read his last few posts and it's
there--that we're all negligent because we're not driving 'safe' modern cars
and therefore we're putting all the diligent, informed and highly-skilled
other drivers--the ones that are so good they can shave/apply makeup, eat a
burger and talk and text while they're driving--at risk.  The only solution,
of course, is to buy a Jule chassis and install it before driving your Healey
again.

> I thoroughly dispute that notion.  The risk of my BJ8's chassis cracking in
two is, I suspect, significantly less than a Toyota--driven by a member of
the 'my car is safe because it has airbags' contingent--getting a stuck
accelerator pedal and plowing into a squad of Girl Scouts in a crosswalk.  I
don't have stats, but my risk-analysis skills--comes from flying airplanes as
well as driving unsafe older cars--tell me so.  If my BJ8's chassis does
spontaneously disintegrate odds are it's only me and my passenger that will
suffer.

> Kees is right, obviously.  If your chassis is shot, you can either attempt
to repair it or get an original (not likely) or new replacement.  For a
Healey, I'd take Rich's advice (always) and get a Kilmartin, or other, that is
new, has better metal and retains the the original appearance.

> To take this a step further, we're all negligent because we haven't replaced
our ancient, socially irresponsible Healey chassis with friction-welded
titanium space frames.  All the others, Martin's included, are simply not
politically correct.