[Healeys] WG: rear shocks

Peter Caldwell peter at nosimport.com
Tue Dec 14 08:54:42 MST 2010

Bob, Josef,
      Sorry, I was off list for a bit.  The shock 6075 and 8002 are
externally identical. The number we use is the Armstrong number
stamped on the underside of each shock casting on the fronts. (on the
rears, the number is stamped on the lower edge of a mounting boss)

         Internally, the valve springs change wire diameter by a few
thousandths. Not terribly significant, and honestly, probably not as
noticeable as a change t radial tires from bias ply.

         The screws are not the difference.  Armstrong had running
changes in manufacture over the years going from slotted to posidrive
to Phillips screws all on the same part number. There is usually a
date code on the front shocks into the 1980s. The valve nut (7/8")
also changes over the years as does the seat in the body.

         I have a downladable copy of the Armstrong catalog page for
the Healey shocks if someone wants to host it.  And Bob, your numbes
are correct, as both the BMC and the Armstrong numbers are stamped on
the shock base.

         Now.... what about color..... ;-)

Peter Caldwell