[Healeys] Fuel Gauge Jitter fix

Jaap Aeckerlin j.aeckerlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 00:34:36 MST 2010

Mark, fluctuation of the fuel gauge needle, IMHO, indicates fluctuating
voltage as the fuel gauge is no more than a volt meter. I got rid of the
fluctuation by soldering a thin flexible wire to the float arm and grounding
the other end on the sender body - see attached picture (for your eyes
only). The explanation is that the current through the sender mechanism  has
to pass from the shaft with the wiper to the sender body. Lucas thought
their equipment was corrosion free, but it isn't , and one gets a nice
fluctuating resistance in the bore.
With the flex wire the resistance is close to nil and also not fluctuating.
At least this solution worked for me....
Good luck!
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432