[Healeys] Oil in the water cooling system

Rod Shepherd rodshepherd at optusnet.com.au
Fri Dec 10 13:33:27 MST 2010

Hello Dirk,

You may have a problem with two oil galleries which run through the water
jackets of the block, especially if you have recently descaled or acid
dipped the block during rebuild.

This problem is not unusual with the 'C'series block.

Cape International in the UK have a kit available for the repair if this is
the problem - costs about 50 GBP and you need to strip the block, find a
good machinist and have it repaired.

My 29D block has a similar problem wherein after a long trip I have traces
of engine oil in the radiator.
I am still driving my Healey with this problem and I won't touch it until
running temperatures (160 degrees on a hot day, 190 in traffic) increase or
I see water in the engine oil.

Rod Shepherd (Queensland, Australia with a modified 57 BN4 'The Beast')