[Healeys] BN1 first gear synchro and coupling adaptor

helen standfast hstandfa at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 7 23:29:40 MST 2010

Hi listers

I have a query re my BN1 first gear and synchro, the synchro cone and
coupling adaptor were loose on the splines which allowed the units to
slide about 6-8 mm away from the gear. We removed the worn cone and plan
on replacing it with a new cone using the recommended method as per the
manual.  The coupling adaptor looks to be in perfect condition as does
the first motion shaft and gear.  When I press the coupling adaptor onto
the spline in preparation to fit the cone, it has the same 6-8 mm
movement when the shoulder is pressed against the gear (ie it is not a
press fit right up to the gear).  My question is will the shrink fit of
the new cone be sufficient to hold the coupler tight against the gear or
should we either get a new coupler or use some form of adhesive or
silver solder to secure?

thanks

Noel S